The GreenSeeker® handheld crop sensor is an affordable, easy-to-use measurement device that can be used to assess the health, or vigour, of a crop. Readings taken by the GreenSeeker handheld can be used to make non-subjective decisions regarding the amount of fertilizer to be applied to a crop, resulting in more efficient use of fertilizer — a benefit to both a farmer’s bottom line and the environment.
How Does it Work?
- Upon pulling the trigger, the sensor turns on, emits brief bursts of red and infrared light, and then measures the amount of each type of light that is reflected back at the sensor.
- The sensor continues to sample the scanned area as long as the trigger remains engaged.
- The strength of the detected light is a direct indicator of the vigor – or health – of the crop.
- The sensor displays the measured value in terms of an NDVI reading on its LCD display screen. NDVI readings can range from 0.00 to 0.99; the higher the reading, the healthier the plant.
- Sensor battery
- Wrist strap
- AC charger
- USB-to-microUSB cable
- Carrying pouch
- Quick Reference Card
- Algorithm Chart
Optional accessories for the handheld crop sensor are sold separately. These accessories are not required and include the following:
- 12V DC vehicle charger
- Remote Switch Kit – allows you to position the crop sensor at a sufficient height over taller crop canopies. The kit includes a mounting bracket, hose clamps, and a remote switch.
- Use the parts from this kit to attach the crop sensor to a user-supplied pole of the necessary length.
- Connect the remote switch to the sensor’s 2.5 mm input connection.
- Push the button on the remote switch to obtain a reading and then lower the pole to read the display.